Friday, December 28, 2007

Unfortunately the lumbar puncture test I had confirmed the possibility that I have MS (to quote the doctor, my diagnosis now moves from 'possible MS' to 'probable MS').

Since I want to breastfeed Stephen for a lot longer (at least another year) the current plan is to wait and see if I get another attack and only then proceed with long term interferon medication (not breastfeeding friendly). Or, if not, to rescan (MRI) in 3 or 4 months, and if that shows there has been a progression (more lesions) then to proceed with the medication. (Lesions can occur without clinical presentation.) I am not particularly happy with this of course but he is almost 4 months now (a tiny bit better than 9 weeks, which is how old he was when all this started) and I'll be grateful for every additional month I can nurse him.

I have different symptoms now - something called L'Hermittes sign. Very unpleasant and worse when I am tired or stressed. Because it originates in a similar area to the lesion causing the left side problems (which are now almost gone) the doctor is considering it not as a second attack but a continuation of the first attack.

Peter and I found Christmas a bit of a struggle. I heard the results of the test on the 21st, but that was not the only thing troubling us as two days before that (the night of the 19th) we were robbed by three men who broke into the house and took laptops, cell phones, jackets, my bag, and Peter's wallet. Fortunately the three older kids were in Maritzburg still so they did not experience the incident first hand.

Peter had the presence of mind to activate the alarm as they burst in. The security company arrived quickly, causing the robbers to flee in a panic - dropping several items in neighbouring gardens as they fled. In the morning we found a laptop, my jacket, a phone charger and a camera (actually a broken camera, I wish they'd not dropped it, wouldn't that have pissed them off) in the surrounding area.

They were not out to harm us, although one got annoyed at not being able to find things quickly in the messy cupboard and threw something at Peter which cut his lip. It was traumatic though and we have been jumpy every night since. The last few days have been a trying time of replacing things, organising insurance, and starting the process of increasing the security on our house.

The highlight of Christmas was opening the five identically shaped packages, one for each (walking, talking) member of the family, from Peter and me. They were water guns (pump action) and a hilarious water war ensued in the garden.

Best thing you can do for me, as regards the MS, is not to respond with too many 'how terribles'. Maybe it won't be.

This is the first time as an adult I have looked forward to the end of a year and the start of a new one. 2008 has got to be better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a breastfeeding fanatic - fed all my kids for 2 years each - but nevertheless I was thinking...

If starting the medication earlier would keep you healthier for longer, would that not ultimately benefit all your kids (and especially Stephen) more than the extra year of breastmilk?

Just a thought ... not advice.

Well done on the positive attitude. I believe ms is very controllable these days (if it is indeed that) and likely to become more so with medicine making great strides each year.

All the very best!
Julia

Annalise said...

Hoping 2008 is easier. From what I have read, holding off on meds so long as you can do so safely is prob. the best bfing option. Fwiw, my brother's godmother was dxed with ms in 1990 and is doing well. Much love to all...

Lisa said...

Hi Julia

Thanks for the thought. I have not checked with our medical aid yet, but the neuro believes most medical aids here don't pay for the medication until a second attack occurs anyway. Since it is in the order of six figures for a year's supply, I would need to wait for medical aid to pay. As soon as a second attack occurs (if it does) or more lesions are identified in 3 or 4 months I will wean Stephen and go on to the medication. I know maintaining my health is more important than continuing to bf. But in some cases, no further attacks occur for 15 years, so who knows.