Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Urgh.

I have a cold. Not quite enough to hamper this morning's ride (sore throat only) but at 4.37 this afternoon it suddenly thumped me rather hard.

My fph* is steadily falling. Today my bike was in hospital and I had to ride a hired bike. Missed my baby, but I survived it so it was a good experience and a step out of my comfort zone in a different direction. The frame was bigger than mine, the brakes were block brakes not disk brakes, and the right hand gear shift operated in the opposite direction to mine. I've been trying to do the descents faster recently, and making use of brakes that one would have to describe as under-achievers helped enormously in this regard.

We just emerged from a really busy weekend (sort of a four-day weekend, with Tuesday being a public holiday, and Monday correspondingly a school holiday) and are about to plunge into another. Robyn, who has just joined Guides, had a mini-camp and outdoor cook-out, at which she made roast chicken and potatoes and baked apples and custard over a fire. And Peter and the girls took part in a clean-up operation along the Hillcrest railway line - also because of the Guides connection. And Jeannette and I rode on Saturday. And I got some really fruity bruises. And there was soccer, and a braai, with Daniel's soccer team, and a sleep-over for Lauren, and games at home with friends on Saturday and Sunday evening. Puerto Rico is a brilliant game.

I love my life. I would just like a day to recover from it all now and then!

I should mention that Lauren's gym competition that I wrote about last time went really well. She came second in her section, and will be a member of the KZN team in the inter-provincial event the weekend after next.




* fph - falls per hour

No comments: